View Important System Requirements for running this course.
Designing for Flood Loads Using ASCE 7 and ASCE 24
Instructor Information: William L. Coulbourne, P.E., F.SEI, F.ASCE
Course Length: 1.5 Hours
This webinar is co-sponsored by ASCE's Structural Engineering Institute and ASCE Continuing Education.
Purpose and Background
As numerous flood events occur annually, engineers must design and construct more flood-resilient buildings, making the flood provisions of ASCE 7 and ASCE 24 crucial. The purpose of this webinar is to provide engineers with the knowledge and tools to design more flood-resilient buildings, using ASCE 7 and ASCE 24.
Primary Discussion Topics
This webinar will provide technical information important to flood design for all types of buildings and all types of flood conditions.
The speaker will discuss:
- Minimum design and construction standards required by regulations
- Current design methodologies for foundation issues for both riverine and coastal buildings
- The limitations of prescriptive solutions for flood-design problems
- Flood load provisions of ASCE 7-10 Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures and ASCE 24 Flood Resistant Design and Construction
- Retrofitting existing buildings with flood-resistant features
As we learn more about this devastating hazard and communities strive to be more sustainable, flood provisions in state and federal regulations are changing, as well as design concepts and methodologies, making it essential for engineers to remain engaged with these shifting methodologies.
The following learning outcomes have been established for webinar participants:
- Learn how to apply the flood load provisions in ASCE 7-10 and ASCE 24 to properly design buildings
- Know the provisions, updates, and proposed changes to ASCE 7-10 and ASCE 24
- Understand the minimum design and construction standards for flood design
- Recognize the limitations for prescriptive solutions in flood design to assist in identifying issues that require thorough analysis
- Know the current design methodologies for foundation issues used for both riverine and coastal buildings
- Gain an understanding of how to apply current flood design methodologies to foundations issues for both riverine and coastal buildings
- Gain an understanding of where the prescriptive provisions of the building code stop; when designs for foundations are considered; and where the building code is not clear about how to apply the code provisions as it relates to foundations
- Recognize the limitations for prescriptive solutions in flood design to assist in identifying important design issues that require thorough analysis
- Learn what the minimum design and construction standards are for flood design
- Engineers with five years or more experience
- Structural engineers
- Civil Engineers working in floodplains
- Geotechnical engineers
- Building Officials
- Defining minimum design conditions as required by regulations
- Flood load considerations for any floodplain
- Issues critical to riverine and coastal flooding