T&DI Board Appoints Katie Chou to the Appointed Position on the Board of Governors
Dr. Chou has over 15 years of experience as a senior manager and pavement specialist with diverse experience in airport, highway, and infrastructure assessment. Her expertise includes airport planning, design and construction, structural pavement design, airfield and roadway geometric design, utility relocation design and coordination, drainage analysis, erosion and sediment control and storm water management. She was responsible for the planning, design, and construction support services of airport pavement on multiple projects associated with the $5 billion LAX Modernization Program. She was also a peer reviewer for both the Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) Program at the LAX and the Runway & Taxiway Rehabilitation Project at the London Gatwick. Currently, she works on aviation projects across the nation.
Dr. Chou serves several national airport and pavement committees and routinely reviews technical papers. She co-hosted a training workshop with FAA for the FAARFIELD airfield pavement design program. She was on a conference steering committee to organize the 2017 ASCE-Transportation and Development Institute (T&DI)
International Airfield and Highway Pavements Conference.
She is an immediate past chair for the Airport Consultants Council (ACC) Engineering committee and has given many pavement presentations associated with the LAX modernization program. She also co-edited the 2015 ASCE pavement conference proceeding titled "Innovative and Cost-Effective Pavements for a Sustainable Future".
Her selected involvements in the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)-Transportation and Development Institute (T&DI) are highlighted below:
- Institute delegate: 2017 Multi-Region Leadership Conferences (MRLC) in Los Angeles, January 13-14.
- Conference steering committee: 2017 International Conference on Highway Pavements and Airfield Technology in Philadelphia, August 27-30.
- Conference scientific committee: 2016 ASCE/-T&DI International Conference on Transportation and Development in Houston, June 26-29.
- Conference co-chair: 2015 ASCE-T&DI International Airfield and Highway Pavements Conference in Miami, June 7-10.
- Conference steering committee: 2013 ASCE-T&DI International Airfield and Highway Pavements Conference in Los Angeles, June 9-12.
- Committee Chair: ASCE/ T&DI Highway Pavement Committee (2012 - 2014).
- Conference steering committee: 2011 ASCE-T&DI First Congress in Chicago, March 13-16.
- Committee Member: ASCE-T&DI Airfield Pavement Committee.
Dr. Chou currently serves as the Senior Project Manager, Aviation, at ATKINS. She holds a Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.